Thursday 1 December 2011

Motivation for sport and business. Is it similar?

During my reading over the years of over a hundred books about entrepreneurship and starting a business, I came across the interesting observation that there are strong parallels between success at competitive sport and running a successful business. I think it was Alan Sugar who wrote it, as he is quite forthcoming in his books.

Personally, I would agree that the internal motivation to be the best you can and the daily discipline to achieve this would propel people forward in either endeavour. As a teenager, I studied Taekwondo and kickboxing, reaching a black belt in kickboxing. I told my Taekwondo instructor who had tutored me from the beginning that I was now training in kickboxing due to the greater opportunities for actual fighting there against just gym practice, as I felt I owed this to the man who had coached me. He told me I had to make a choice between Taekwondo and kickboxing, as some of the junior students were starting to copy my new style which he did not like. I said I was sorry, but that I had to choose kickboxing for the excitement of the tournaments and he did not allow me to take my black belt in Taekwondo which I was due for, so I missed the opportunity of having 2 black belts, but I do not regret it, as I morally had to tell him I was training at a different club, rather than cheat him. (I was the U.K. under 16 Taekwondo champion, but the transition to kickboxing was a hard one!)

So, I would have to say from my own personal opinion, that the desire to be the best you can be in either sport or business is definitely similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment